Email Marketing Statistics to Guide your Email Strategy in 2018
Happy 2018! As we move into the new year, it is time to think of new methods and strategies to plan your upcoming email marketing campaigns. Email has been a boon and will continue to be ubiquitous in the years to come.
Email trends like interactivity, gamification, use of dynamic data, typography, hyper-personalization, smart segmentation, etc. are some of the most prominent ones to look forward to in 2018.
Before you sprint towards formulating your marketing strategy for 2018, have a look at a list of email marketing statistics and facts handpicked and compiled by EmailMonks. Keep these stats in mind and use them as a guide to plan your email marketing campaigns in the right direction.
- In 2017, global e-mail users amounted to 3.7 billion users. This figure is set to grow to 4.1 billion users in 2021. (Statista)
- In 2017, the total number of business and consumer emails sent and received per day reached 269 billion and is expected to continue to grow at an average annual rate of 4.4% over the next four years, reaching 319.6 billion by the end of 2021. (Radicati Group)
- Email marketing spending in the United States would grow from 2.07 billion U.S. dollars in 2014 to 3.07 billion U.S. dollars in 2019. (Statista)
- Email has a median ROI of 122% – over 4x higher than other marketing formats including social media, direct mail, and paid search. (DMA and Demand Metric)
- 86% of professionals prefer to use email when communicating for business purposes. (HubSpot)
- 89% marketers said that email was their primary channel for lead generation. (Mailigen)
- According to The State of B2B Email Marketing report, 77% of B2B marketers claim they’re using email marketing to drive visits and sales to their websites. (SuperOffice)
- The most important goal of 54% (majority) of email marketing influencers is to increase the engagement rate of email marketing. (Ascend2)
- 78% of consumers unsubscribe from emails because brands were sending too many emails. (HubSpot)
- Tuesday is the best day of the week to send emails. If you send two emails a week, send the second email on Thursday. (Coshedule Research)
- The best times to send an email are 10 a.m. and from 8 p.m. to midnight. (Coshedule Research)
- More than 21% of all messages are opened within the first hour of sending. (GetResponse)
- By the end of 2018, worldwide mobile email users are expected to total over 2.2 billion. (Radicati)
- 64% of subscribers open an email based on who it’s from, compared to 47% of subscribers who open emails based on the topic (the subject line). (The State of B2B Email Marketing report- SuperOffice)
- Emails not optimized for mobile devices get deleted by a majority (80.3%) of users. 3 out of 10 users unsubscribe from the list if the emails are not mobile optimized. (Bluehornet)
- Mobile email will account for 20 to 75% of email opens, depending on your target audience, product, and email type. (eMailmonday)
- Out of 1.52 billion email opens, the email clients that witnessed the most opens in 2017 are Apple iPhone, followed by Gmail and Apple iPad. (Litmus Email Client Market Share)
- By using a specific personal name, rather than a general email address or a company’s name, you can increase open rates and click-through rates by as much as 35%. (SuperOffice)
- Marketers have witnessed an increase of 760% in email revenue from segmented campaigns. (Campaign Monitor)
- Segmented email campaigns get 14.31% more opens and 100.95% more clicks than non-segmented campaigns. (MailChimp)
- Transactional or triggered emails have 8x more opens and substantially greater revenue than regular bulk emails. (Experian)
- Triggered email campaigns have an open rate of 45.70%, a click-through rate of 10.75% and click-to-open rate of 23.52%. The unsubscribe rate and spam rate are as low as 0.58% and 0.06% respectively. (GetResponse)
- The most effective triggered email types for e-commerce brands are cart-abandonment emails and welcome emails. (MarketingProfs)
- Welcome emails have on average 4 times the open rate and 5 times the click-through rate of a standard email marketing campaign. (InboxArmy)
- Emails that include some sort of graphics have a higher open rate (26.89%) and higher click-through rate (4.36%) than that of text-based emails. (GetResponse)
- Despite 60% of consumers claiming they prefer image-based emails, research shows that emails that contain too many images or too many calls-to actions don’t perform as well as emails that are plain text or include fewer CTAs. (The State of B2B Email Marketing report- SuperOffice)
- In 2017, the average results for email campaigns across industries were:
- Open rate: 24.79%
- Average click-through rate: 4.19%
- Click-to-open rate: 11.88%
- 72% of customers open an email due to the discount it offers and 62% customers open due to the personalized subject line. (Campaign Monitor)
- 51% of marketers consider email list segmentation to be the most effective personalization tactic for effective email marketing. (Ascend2)
- Email list segmentation and personalized emailing were the most effective email strategies of 2017. (DMA)
- Personalization in the email body has an open rate of 29.95% and a click-through rate of 5.03% as compared to non-personalized emails. (GetResponse)
A great deal of advancements have been done in the field of email personalization. Check out this cool Email Personalization Advancements infographic and get enlightened.
- Personalized subject lines lift open rates by 29.3%. (MarketingSherpa)
- Subject lines containing emojis have a higher read rate than comparable text-only subject lines. (Business Wire)
- 47% of email recipients open email based on the subject line (Invesp)
- 68% of email recipients report email as spam based solely on the subject line. (Invesp)
- Subject lines including words like “urgent”, “important”, “alert”, etc. are proven to increase open rates. (MailChimp)
- Holidays is the time when email marketers tend to experiment with their subject lines. here are 75 top Holiday Email Subject Lines.
- Email landing pages that reflect different business objectives have an average conversion rate of around 7.13% across industries. (GetResponse)
Keeping these stats in mind, brainstorm to figure out what would work well for your business. Start now to plan a winning email marketing strategy for this year. If you need help with getting emails and newsletters coded and designed for your campaigns, get in touch with us at hello(at)emailmonks(dot)com.